Monday, August 3, 2015

Test of Integrity

I had a chance to help out with a race the other day.  It was a 285 mile triathlon style relay race.  There were 36 legs in all, some swimming, some running, and some cycling.  23 teams competed.  I was asked to help at exchange 33 which meant that when the athletes got to where I was they had been racing for more than 24 hours, were exhausted and ready for the race to be over.  I had arrived at the exchange at 7:30 in the morning, around 1:30 PM the second to last place team finally arrived.  When I approached their car they rolled down the window and asked if it would be alright for them to send on their next runner before the one on leg 33 actually finished.  They wanted me to cheat for them by writing down an inaccurate time for the runner that was coming in.  I was disappointed and told them that I wouldn't feel right about doing that.  They continued to try to persuade me by telling me that all the other teams were doing it.  In my mind I thought, I don't care what everyone else is doing, I care about my actions and my integrity.  I again told them I didn't feel that would be the right thing to do.  I think they were really surprised I wouldn't do it and I don't think they liked me much, but I hope in hindsight they will be able to stand a little taller knowing that they finished the race the right way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment